Hello and welcome to our article on Torrance car accident attorneys. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident in Torrance, you’ll want to work with an experienced attorney who can help you navigate the legal system and get the compensation you deserve. In this article, we will cover all aspects of Torrance car accident cases, from what to do immediately after an accident to how to select the right attorney for your case. Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
- Immediate Actions to Take After a Car Accident
- Common Causes of Car Accidents in Torrance
- Types of Injuries Sustained in Car Accidents
- Compensation Available in Car Accident Cases
- Finding the Right Torrance Car Accident Attorney
- Frequently Asked Questions About Torrance Car Accident Cases
Immediate Actions to Take After a Car Accident
If you are involved in a car accident in Torrance, there are several important steps you should take immediately:
- Check for injuries: If you or anyone else involved in the accident is injured, call 911 right away.
- Call the police: Even if there are no injuries, it’s important to call the police so that an official report can be filed.
- Exchange information: Get the names, phone numbers, and insurance information of all drivers involved in the accident, as well as any witnesses.
- Take photos: Use your phone’s camera to take pictures of the accident scene, including damage to all vehicles involved, any injuries, and any street signs or traffic signals nearby.
- Report the accident to your insurance company: You’ll want to report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible, even if you weren’t at fault.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Torrance
Car accidents can happen for many different reasons, but some of the most common causes of accidents in Torrance include:
- Distracted driving, such as texting while driving or eating behind the wheel
- Speeding or reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Failing to obey traffic signals or signs
- Poor road conditions or weather
It’s important to determine the cause of the accident in order to hold the responsible party accountable and seek appropriate compensation.
Types of Injuries Sustained in Car Accidents
Car accidents can cause a wide range of injuries, from minor cuts and bruises to catastrophic injuries that require lifelong medical care. Some of the most common injuries sustained in car accidents include:
- Head injuries, such as concussions or traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
No matter how minor or severe your injuries may be, it’s important to seek medical attention right away and document all medical treatment received.
Compensation Available in Car Accident Cases
If you are injured in a car accident in Torrance, you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical expenses, including hospitalization, surgery, and rehabilitation
- Lost wages or income due to missed work
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Loss of consortium
To receive compensation, you will need to prove that the other driver was at fault for the accident and that your injuries were a direct result of the accident. This is where an experienced Torrance car accident attorney can help.
Finding the Right Torrance Car Accident Attorney
If you are looking for a Torrance car accident attorney, here are some factors to consider:
- Experience: Look for an attorney who has successfully handled car accident cases similar to yours.
- Reputation: Check online reviews and ratings to get a sense of an attorney’s reputation in the legal community.
- Communication: You want an attorney who will keep you informed throughout the legal process and answer any questions you may have.
- Fees: Most car accident attorneys work on a contingency basis, meaning they only get paid if you receive compensation.
Don’t be afraid to schedule a consultation with a few different attorneys to find the one who is the best fit for you and your case.
Frequently Asked Questions About Torrance Car Accident Cases
Q: How long do I have to file a car accident claim in Torrance?
A: In California, the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim is two years from the date of the accident. It’s important to act quickly to preserve any evidence and build a strong case.
Q: What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
A: California follows a comparative fault system, which means that you can still recover damages even if you were partially at fault for the accident. However, your compensation will be reduced by the percentage of fault assigned to you.
Q: Do I have to go to court to resolve my car accident case?
A: Not necessarily. Many car accident cases are settled out of court through negotiations with insurance companies. However, if a fair settlement cannot be reached, your attorney may advise you to file a lawsuit.
Q: Can I still recover damages if the other driver didn’t have insurance?
A: If the other driver did not have insurance, you may still be able to recover damages through your own uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This is why it’s important to have adequate insurance coverage yourself.
Q: How much compensation can I expect to receive in a car accident case?
A: The amount of compensation you can receive depends on many factors, including the severity of your injuries, the amount of medical care required, and the amount of lost wages or income. An experienced Torrance car accident attorney can give you a better idea of what to expect based on the specifics of your case.
Q: How much does it cost to hire a Torrance car accident attorney?
A: Most car accident attorneys work on a contingency basis, meaning they do not charge any upfront fees and only get paid if you receive compensation. The typical contingency fee is around 33% of the total settlement or award.